Author: Ryan Eaves
- 5 russet potatoes
- 6 cups peanut oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Peel the sides of the potatoes and then slice them into ¼ inch fries.
- Place fries into cold water and put in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours
- Heat oil in a cast iron pot or dutch oven to 250 degrees.
- Remove fries from the water and dry thoroughly. Drop them into the oil in small batches so that the oil temperature does not drop too low. Let them fry for about 6 minutes until they begin to develop a white crust, but haven’t browned yet. Remove them fromt he oil and place them on a drying rack.
- Turn the oil up to 350 degrees.
- Place the potatoes back into the hot oil in batches again. This time, allow them to get golden brown and crispy. Remove them and sprinkle with salt while they are still hot.